Thursday, February 24, 2011

European Adventures

Happy Belated Merry Christmas....hah! This is how long it has taken me to get our Flaten/Tune European Family Adventures up on the blog!

Back in December the Flaten's and Tune's took the 6 hour flight over the pond to Europe for a long weekend away. I headed over a few days early to Antwerp, Netherlands for some work and got a day to take in some of the sights. I had never been to Antwerp and it is a small scale Brussels, type feel.

Below is Our Lady's Cathedral of Antwerp just at dusk and then next to it is the Grote Markt with the start of the Christmas Market set-up
Het Steen "The Stone"


Antwerp is a major port city for shipping of containers (hence why I was there) and sits on the Scheldt River.
I left Antwerp and took the train down to Amsterdam, checked in at the Hotel Pulitzer and went out for a wonderful Thai dinner, while my family was all flying overnight. I cozied up at the hotel bar and ordered a few cocktails while taking in the view of the Prinsengracht and Keizergracht canals! I woke up in the morning and looked out my window to a snowy and very picturesque canal so ran to the camera and went downstairs to go take a few shots.




Everyone arrived safetly and we ventured out to explore the Anne Frank House, the flower market, with all of the lovely tulips and bulbs......LOADS of flower bulbs. We were not at the flower market in the proper season however it was still amazing to see.



A few shots from around Amsterdam:



A final picture from Amsterdam of my mom, dad and brother at the hotel bar enjoying a few beverages before dinner!
We had a wonderful time in Amsterdam together for a few days and then took the train from Amsterdam to Brugge. Trip to Brugge to follow tomorrow!

No comments: