Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Aftermath

We are back from our road trip to North Carolina and back to the grind, work that is. We had a wonderful time catching up with friends, seeing new sites, tasting some wonderful craft beers and all in all just having a great time! I am working on getting up post 1 of the trip but need an all important audio clip from Scott so you can get a full appreciation of an event. I am hoping to get it wrapped up tonight.

In other news, Scott officially started as a FT employee with pwc yesterday! In bad news, we were welcomed home to a Hornet that is trying to burrow underground in our backyard. My belief is that this happened because Bailey, our dog, has been at my parents house since we were heading on vacation and otherwise I don't think a hornet would have chosen that particular location to nest. My brother in-law, Ryan, called Scott on vacation to tell him that he thought we had hornets and Scott said, "Well get rid of them." Ryan I will say is a bit of a baby when it comes to that stuff since said Hornet was still flying around when we got home. So I told Scott let's go out and do what is suggested to get rid of them, pour gasoline down their hole in the ground at night and then they will die, you dig up the nest and no more hornets. We geared up in long pants, jackets and glasses went outside on a mission to kill said hornet (since only one has been spotted). We poured gas down the holes we could find after dusk when the hornet should be in the holes and wouldn't you know it in the morning the hornet was still there. The damn thing must not have been in the hole.

Fast forward to last night when Ryan and I were playing soccer with Bailey, her favorite sport, and I asked Scott to get a shovel and let's just dig up the nest and get rid of it once and for all. He starts digging and nothing is in the ground. I mean not one inkling of any sort of nest, life, etc there just a lingering smell of gas. He puts the dirt back and the damn hornet comes back to the area where Scott just started digging. We have a Japanese fly swatter, which is plastic tennis racket that is electric (see picture below), and Scott takes a swing at the hornet and it hits the racket and the hornet goes down. Scott was doing a bit of a victory dance when the hornet then gets back up and flies away. We were defeated.

I woke up this morning and there he was again, flying around the same area. I grabbed the racket and headed outside to finally kill the thing. Needless to say my tennis skills I think need improving since I didn't get him and he is I am sure now wondering what this Chocolate colored dog is now doing in his territory. Bailey is now on patrol for the day and I hope she fends him off. If he is still around when we get home tonight he is toast. I am sick of seeing him fly around and need him GONE.

No comments: