Tuesday, September 23, 2008

First Day of Autumn

Yesterday marked the first day of Autumn, which is my favorite season of the year! When I think of Autumn so many fond memories, fun past times, wonderful smells, crisp sunny weather and food come to mind. The things that do not come to the front of my mind are the countless hours raking leaves on my parents 2+ acres of land with LOADS of trees, numerous hours stomping down the leaves in trailers to bring them to the recycling center and all the time my brother for whatever reason always missed out on those days. I still haven't figured out how that happened but someday he will pay!


Living in London has made me miss many things about the fall which is the changing of the leaves in the Northeast which is beautiful to see at its peak, apple picking, pumpkin slingshots, cider donuts, apple cider and caramel apples. The trees in London seems to stay green until the winter and then just fall off and die which is definitely not the same as seeing leaves turn from green to yellows/oranges/reds/purples.


This weekend Scott's friend Alex was in town and brought with him a bag a candy corn which is an all time favorite of mine. For those in the UK who do not know what this candy corn is, you are missing out. Candy corn is usually tri-colored, pictured below, and is made from sugar, corn syrup and honey. There are different color variations that you can with chocolate tips on them, etc. They also have pumpkins, bats, etc in variety mixes, Autumn mix. It is a good thing I am going home this week as the bag has run empty now of candy corn, well maybe it is not a good thing I am going home.



















So tonight as I prep to go home for a classic fall weekend in the Northeast I will hopefully have some cool crisp days where I can wear sweaters and walk around and be the perfect temp. I can go shopping in the grocery store and see all of the Halloween candy out, eat a cider donut or too from Hacklebarny Park, have some apple cider and look forward to doing it all again next year when Scott and I are back living in NJ but this time I am sure we will be raking the leaves at our own house.

No comments: