Sunday, November 22, 2009

Fun Filled Friday

My commute is 21 miles one way door to door to work and typically takes about 40 minutes. On Friday night that commute took me 2.5 hours. Yes 2.5 hours. The main reason...I got rear-ended by an Audi. I am fine which is all that matters since my car can get fixed.

I was sitting dead stopped in the right lane (exit lane) waiting for the traffic to move...typically dead stopped since it is getting onto Route 80. The traffic in this lane is always stop and go so you have to be careful. I was about 2 feet behind the car in front of me when I feel my car getting pushed forward and a load crash. That was the Audi hitting the back of my Mercury Mariner. Thankfully I have a truck since the real damage to my car is the tailgate and bumper (well all that I can see). I put my car in park and turn it off and go out to see the damage. The girl who gets out is all in panic since it is her brother's car...3 days old mind you. Fluid out of her car is leaking everywhere...and she left it running (STUPID). A state trooper pulls up almost one minute after (on his way to another accident further south) and gets us out of the right lane and into the shoulder. We get out the cars again and we are standing in between the two cars and her car starts rolling forward...she forgot to put it in park. (Are you getting the idea of whom I am dealing with now?) The cop tells us that he needs to go to the other accident since it happened first and that he will be back. I didn't realize that you had to take a deli ticket number for accidents. I will remember that next time, but hopefully there won't be one. About 25-30 minutes goes by and a different cop shows up. He takes all of our information and gets me on my way while the Audi gets put on a flatbed.

My truck now rattles (exhaust pipe is loose) and looks a little sick from the back but will get fixed soon I am sure.

2 comments:

UKYankee said...

Glad you are doing okay...but definitely be ready for a stiff neck later on (can happen a day or two afterwards). Sounds like you got hit by a winner of a driver (how do these people pass?!)

Janine said...

I am glad that you are ok, and that your car gets better soon.